The Naomi Wood Collection
Naomi Wood (1871-1926) was born in Philadelphia, the educated daughter of a successful merchant family. Her father, Caleb Wood, and her grandfather, David Wood, owned and operated a store for “Ladies and Children’s Furnishing Goods” on the corner of Chestnut and Juniper Streets. Around 1920, Wood inherited the property, which became the basis of her estate.
Wood started collecting antiques at a young age. Around 1910, she formulated a plan with her friend Daniel Huntoon to ensure that their collections could be enjoyed by generations of the public in a well-maintained historic house. She intended to acquire a historic house, and she and Huntoon would furnish it with an extraordinary array of art, furniture, and other household objects.
After her death, Daniel Huntoon, acting as executor of her will,
signed an agreement with the Fairmount Park Commission allowing Woodford Mansion to be used to house Wood’s and Huntoon’s collections. In her will, Wood stipulated that her estate be devoted
to maintaining the collection, “as an illustration of household gear during the Colonial years” and to serve as a trust in perpetuity “for the purpose of furnishing, equipping and maintaining the house.” Daniel Huntoon and the Girard Trust Company were appointed as The Naomi Wood Trust’s first co-trustees.
Naomi Wood, ca. 1890